Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Moving on

The Seattle Symphony's principal cellist, Josh Roman, is moving on, leaving at the end of the current season.  Below is the text of the letter he sent out that was posted elsewhere.

Dear Friends and Family,


I am writing to let you know of my decision to leave the Seattle Symphony following the current 07-08 season. I informed the orchestra management of this decision yesterday. I thought it would be nice to tell all of you myself, instead of you hearing the news from others. This email was the best way I could come up with. In any case: This decision comes at an exciting time for me. I have had so many opportunities since I came to the Seattle Symphony, and lately I have been taking more solo and chamber engagements here and elsewhere. I really appreciate the willingness of the Seattle Symphony to have placed so much faith in me at this critical point in my career.


I will miss many of the friends that I have made here, including two of the musicians that I sit next to almost every week; my stand partner, Susan Williams, and the charming man who sits next to me in the violins, John Weller. There are many more in the cello section, orchestra, staff, and around the city that I will remember fondly. My sincere hope is that our relationships will be lasting and flourish no matter where our roads take us.

 
As much as I have loved my time in Seattle, it is very important for me to keep a strong focus and commitment to my goals, and the foremost musical goal I have is to become the best cellist I can be. To that end, I will be doing tons of traveling over the next years, listening to many great musicians, practicing hard, performing a lot, and doing other cool stuff too. I plan to return to Seattle frequently and I already have several engagements here next season. Seattle is like a home to me; I love this place and the people I’ve met here!


I thank all of you for your support, especially my family, who has always thought that I was a bit nuts to want this life, but has supported me in everything nonetheless. It is because of this support that I am able to carry on and I hope to make the best of every opportunity and trust I am given.
All the best to all of you.

 
Joshua Roman

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's leaving because it sucks at the Seattle Symphony. I think he is right to focus on the advancement of his craft because the Symphony is obviously not interested in advancement of its craft. Bravo star on the rise.

Lane Savant said...

I am not the above anonymous, although I do agree with the sentiments.
Best of luck to Joshua.